Host: Mike Walker, 509-392-9227, recognizable by the brightly colored ribbon hanging from his helmet.
When to meet: Meet 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM.
Where to meet: Meet at the clocktower near the base of the lifts. This location is shown as a "X" in the image at the bottom of this page. Look for a group standing together (per social distancing guidelines). If in doubt, shout "Desert Ski Club!". If the group waves back, you found us.
Where to stay:
$$$$$ On the mountain. www.schweitzer.com Several options. Guaranteed tickets w/ 10% discount. Reserve now!
$$$$ Best Western 477326 Highway 95 North, Ponderay, ID 83852•(208) 255-4500
$$$ La Quinta 415 Cedar St, Sandpoint, ID 83864•(208) 263-9581
$$ Ruby Inn 477255 US-95, Ponderay, ID 83852•(208) 263-5383
$ Days Inn. 363 Bonner Mall Way, Ponderay, ID 83852•(208) 263-1222
Lift tickets: BUY YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE ONLINE. Best to buy at least two weeks in advance or the resort may be sold out. Schweitzer Lift Tickets.
Neither the Indy Pass nor the Bluewood Season Pass include Schweitzer.
What to expect:
COVID-driven operating conditions at ski resorts vary, but typically include:
- No lift ticket sales at the resort. Buy online in advance. Ski resorts are selling out, sometimes weeks in advance.
- No changing areas. No lockers.
- Lifts: groups that drove together can ride the lift together. Singles have the option to ride the lift by themselves, or in the case of a quad chair, can opt to ride with a stranger sitting on the other side of the chair. Groups of two and three will ride together but with no one else.
- Expect ski rentals to take significantly longer than usual.
- The only time you DON'T have to wear a mask is while skiing or eating. The mask goes on before you get out of your car and only comes off while you are actively moving downhill, or sitting at a table eating.
A day or two before the event, be sure to check the ski resort website, as conditions may change.
Don't let this year's operating conditions keep you off the slope -- the skiing itself will be just as fun. Snow doesn't care about COVID!